Working holiday Australia website

Working holiday visa Australia – how to apply for a working holiday visa.

You want to work in Australia but don’t know where to start?

This article aims to assist you with applying for a Working Holiday visa 417 or Work and Holiday visa 462 for Australia. If you are between 18 and 30 years old you can apply for a 12 month visa, and if you work in rural Australia for 88 days you can then apply for another 12 months stay. Allowing you to work in Australia for a total of 2 years.

What is the difference between 417 and 462 visas?

Which visa you are eligible for depends on which country you are from. Originally the second year visa was only open to 417 visa holders, however both visas now allow you to work for a second year. There are differences in where you can work to qualify. I advise you to visit the Australian government’s ‘homeaffairs’ website for up to date information. A link is provided below.

If you follow the tips and fruitpicking techniques outlined in the article  working while travelling around Australia – earn money fruitpicking you will be able to earn and save enough money to travel the world,  spend 5 years at the feet of a Spiritual Guru in India, or return to your homeland with enough money to marry your childhood sweetheart.

Who can apply?

Australia currently (July 2018) has Working holiday visa (417) arrangements with:

Belgium, Canada, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Malta, The Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan and the U.K.

The visa requirements are that you must be between the ages of 18 and 30 at the time of the application. And, of course, you need to have a valid passport. There are plans to increase the cut off age from 30 to 35, yet at the time of writing this has not been confirmed.

Citizens of the following countries are eligible for Work and Holiday visa (462):

Argentina, Austria, Chili, China, Czech Republic, Hungary, Indonesia, Israel, Luxenborg, Malaysia, Peru, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, Uruguay, Vietnam.

On top of the previously mentioned visa requirements visa 462 has further educational requirements. Again it is best to consult the Australian ‘homeaffairs’ website for up to date requirements.

As part of the application process you must provide evidence that you have enough money to sustain yourself should you not work. This means that you must have $5000 Australian dollars in your bank account and either a return ticket, an onward ticket, or enough money above the $5000 to purchase a ticket. Now just between you, me and the fence post, you could just borrow this money from your parents or a very good friend, and repay it after your  visa has been granted.

How do I apply?

To apply go to  then click on  ‘Individuals and Travellers’. If you click on the link here it will open in a new window allowing you to keep this window open so you can navigate between the two.

Working holiday visa - how to apply

Scroll down till you see the picture with ‘Find a Visa’, click this. It will take you to the next page.

Find a visa










On the next page click, ‘More Options’ this will open up more options on the same page.

Fruitpicking jobs











Now you can click, ‘working holiday’ this again opens up on the same page.

Working holiday visa









Then it is just a matter of following the prompts, your country, age and then create an ImmiAccount. There are other ways to navigate the ‘homeaffairs’ website, but this is the quickest. Once you select your country you will be guided to either the 417 or 462 visas.

What does it cost?

The cost of the application is currently $440 if you apply online at the above website. You can also download and print a copy of the application, but it will cost another $80 for the writing application to be processed, and it will take longer.  My advice would be to apply on-line.

On top of this you will need money for your passport, International drivers license, plane ticket, and, of course, a backpack.

Where can I work?

The idea behind the working holiday scheme is to get more workers into regional Australia. For some strange reason most people prefer to live on top of each other in overcrowded, polluted cities. Human beings are strange creatures. However, this provides you with the opportunity to work and live in some of the most beautiful parts of this great country. The government provides a list of ‘approved’ postcodes where you need to work for 88 days to qualify for your second year visa. Again there are differences between the Working Holiday 417 and the Work and Holiday 462 visa. With 462 visa holders restricted to working in the Northern part of Australia.

For the rest of the first year and the whole of the second you can work anywhere you can find a job. If you prefer overcrowded, polluted cities you can work there for the other 21 months. If you wish to explore this great country and experience life in the bush there are endless opportunities from fruitpicking to serving beer in an outback pub or working in an Aboriginal community.


Every year over 600,000 backpackers flock to the land of Skippy and Crocodile Dundee to travel the outback, earn money to finance further travel, or improve their standard of living in their home country. Australia welcomes you and  I hope that your experience will be a positive one. Getting your Working Holiday or Work and Holiday visa is the first step.

Thank you for taking the time to read. Please leave your comments below, I would love to hear from you. More content coming, so be sure the come again.




About the Author: Wiebren

Wiebren was born in Australia and has almost two decades of fruit picking experience. He has traveled extensively around Europe and lived in Holland for almost 20 years.

3 Thoughts to “Working holiday visa Australia – how to apply for a working holiday visa.”

  1. Thanks for the article! I’m wanting to visit Australia and New Zealand sometime soon, I have some family there and always wanted to see it. If i can stay 6 months or more and work that’d be great!

    1. Hi Lance, fruitpicking earnings in New Sealand tend to be much lower than in Australia. Hence many Kiwis come to Australia to work. I have friend who life in NZ but work in Australia 4 months of the year. Glad you enjoyed the article

  2. To be honest, I would rather just have enough money to come visit Australia for a few months. This was a great article.

    Thanks for writing it.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *